- Risotto rice (arborio rice)
- Half a white onion
- 1 tbsp of butter
- One stock cube (whichever flavour you prefer, I normally use chicken)
- A cup of white wine
- Juice of one lemon
- Dried or fresh oregano
- Peas (optional)
- Trout (optional)
- Chilli (optional)
- Spring onion (optional)
- Heat the butter in a pan and fry the onion and then add the risotto rice (the packet should give you measurements) for a couple of minutes. The rice shouldn’t change colour.
- Add a cup of wine and cook down until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Make up about 600ml of your chosen flavour of stock.
- Add a ladle of stock at a time to the risotto and cook down each time until the liquid has been absorbed, add the peas.
- If you’re making the chilli trout version you can begin to fry the trout in a pan in a bit of olive oil with the chilli and spring onion, do this for about 5 minutes and an extra five with a lid on so the steam cooks the fish thoroughly.
- When the risotto is cooked it should be soft but have a slight bite, it will take around 15 minutes.
- Stir in the oregano or your choice of herbs and squeeze some lemon!